Affordable Car Insurance in Houston Texas
How to Find Cheap Auto Insurance in Houston TX
Not all brands of cheap Auto Insurance in Houston TX are the same. It is important to compare houston car insurance quotes in Texas to find the best deal at the most competitive price. Insurance companies use different criteria in calculating the cost of your car insurance. But there are ways to get a discount and keep the cost to a minimum. Auto insurance in Houston may be required by law, but it does not have to cost you a lot. Further, learning about the basics of auto insurance can help you determine the type of auto insurance that will work well for you.
The Basics of Auto Insurance
Auto insurance is a type of policy purchased to cover financial liability that can arise from getting involved in a car accident. Driving without auto insurance is punishable by law. The offender can lose his or her driver license and get heavily fined. Renewal of vehicle registration may also be put on hold.
Cheap auto insurance in Houston, TX is usually valid for a period of 6 months to a year. The extent of cover depends on the type of auto insurance you have. There are several types of auto insurance, and the most common are as follows:
- Liability Insurance. This type auto insurance covers damages caused by your vehicle to other people and their property. It is subdivided into two categories: bodily injury liability, which covers medical bills, emotional injury, lost wages, and other special damages; and property damage liability, which covers repair or replacement of damaged property. State laws usually determine the minimum amount of auto liability insurance required. People who drive in Texas are obliged to pay for the accidents they cause.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This covers your medical expenses for treatment due to a car accident. It also pays for rehabilitation, lost income, and funeral expenses. Personal injury protection may be purchased in addition to Liability Insurance.
- Collision Insurance. This type of auto insurance policy helps pay for damages to your car in the event that it crashes with an object or another vehicle. It will not cover for a brand new car, but will match the estimated cost of your vehicle before the accident. Collision insurance is especially necessary if your car is relatively new, or if you are using a more expensive car.
- Comprehensive Insurance. The other types of car insurance only cover vehicular accidents. Comprehensive insurance, however, not only pays for damages to other people and their property resulting from a car collision with which you are to blame, but also for damages to your car due to a car accident, fire, or theft. The insurance will handle just about any unfortunate situation that your car will get involved with. Comprehensive insurance can be very costly.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Protection. Even if a driver has insurance, the state of Texas has relatively low minimum requirement that may not cover all of the costs that can go along with a car accident. If you get hit by a motorist who does not have an auto insurance, or who has insurance but does not have enough coverage, this type of insurance will help pay for your damages and medical expenses.
- Medical / Personal Injury Protection. This will cover the cost associated with treating injuries after a car crash regardless of who is at fault. Medical / personal injury protection will pay for your medical bills and those of your passengers.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Houston, TX
The price of auto insurance is not the same for everyone. It can go up or down based on the type of coverage you need, the value of your property, and your circumstances. The tips below can help you get the cheapest car insurance Texas.
- Bundle coverage. Cheap auto insurance in Houston, TX is offered to those who take advantage of bundle coverage. But getting insurance for multiple vehicles or drivers, you can get a cut of as much as 5% from your premiums.
- Pay only for what you need. Because you are not required to have all types of insurance, you can choose the one the suits you best. Evaluate your circumstances first. Although it is advised to get insurance above the minimum requirement, it may not be applicable if you drive less, or use an old vehicle.
- Set your deductible as high as you can. The higher the deductible is, the more you can save on your auto insurance. Most insurance providers recommend a deductible of at least $1,000 to get the cheapest car insurance in Texas.
- Security systems. Installing security features such as alarm, immobilizer, and anti-theft device in your car can get you entitled to cheap auto insurance in Houston, TX. Ask the insurance provider about the type of security system they recommend.
- Driver safety program. Sign up for a driver safety class. You may take defensive driving, accident prevention, or any other driver safety program that your insurance provider approves of. Drivers who are more careful about driving, are a less of a liability to insurance providers, and therefore are qualified for cheap auto insurance in Houston, TX.
- Get good grades in school. Drivers below 25 should get good grades in school to have the cheapest car insurance Texas. Studies indicate that students who do well in school are involved in fewer car accidents, thus are considered as low-risk by insurers.
- Keep a clean record. If you will exhibit driving behaviors that are deemed as high risk, your driver license may be revoked, and the cost of your car insurance can go up. Drivers who maintain a clean record have better chances to cheap auto insurance in Houston, TX.
- Do not modify your vehicle. A gadget loaded vehicle can increase the cost of your auto insurance. Any modification above factory standard can also invalidate your policy. The only exceptions to this rule are safety modifications. Inform your provider if there is anything you need to change. It is also a must to practice proper maintenance for your car.
Finding Car Insurance Quotes in Houston
Anyone who operates a motor vehicle in the state of Texas must be able to provide proof of insurance. If a driver cannot prove that they have Texas car insurance, they will be ticketed, and in some cases, their car may be impounded. Even though carrying insurance is the law, it also protects drivers in the event of an auto accident. Before choosing a policy, drivers need to understand the different types of vehicle insurance that are available.
Perhaps the most common type of Texas car insurance is liability. Drivers tend to choose this coverage because it is cheaper than other options. Liability only covers the other driver in an accident. The company will pay to repair the victim’s vehicle if you are at fault. Any repairs to your car are completely your responsibility. Liability is only available on cars that have been completely paid off by the owner.
The second most popular auto insurance is full coverage. Just as the term implies, full coverage covers both you and the other driver in an accident. Even if you are to blame for the wreck, your insurance company will pay to fix your vehicle. Most of the time, holders of this type of policy are responsible for paying a deductible before any repairs will be done on their car. Anyone who still owes money on their car note has to carry full coverage.
There are many factors to take into consideration when selecting an auto insurance policy in Texas. First and foremost, the plan that you choose must fit within your budget. Policyholders are responsible for paying a premium. These are usually billed six months at a time, with companies allowing drivers to pay it off in monthly installments. Your premium will be based upon the coverage you select.
In order to avoid high premiums, drivers can opt for higher deductibles. A deductible is the amount of money your insurance company will expect you to pay in the event of an accident. If you feel comfortable having a higher deductible, your insurance premiums will be less. The opposite is also true.
Be sure to ask your insurance agent about any discounts for which you may qualify. Some companies give premium deductions for certain safety features, such as car alarms. Others may even reduce your payments if you can prove that your vehicle is stored in a garage. Older cars do not cost as much to insure, so if money is tight, avoid driving an expensive, luxury vehicle. Drivers who don’t get traffic tickets and avoid accidents for a certain amount of time may quality for additional deductions, known as safe driver discounts.
In the unfortunate event that you are in an auto accident, your insurance company is there to help. Be sure to call them immediately following a wreck. Take note of the time of day, weather conditions and damage to the vehicles before calling. Have a camera handy to take photos of the accident scene. These pictures may come in handy if someone disputes responsibility for the incident. Be sure to gather contact and insurance information from any other drivers involved in the collision.
Once the Texas insurance company has determined who is at fault, you will be able to repair your vehicle. If you are carrying full coverage, your agent will have an adjuster inspect your car to determine a monetary value for the repairs. Some cars may be totaled out, meaning that the insurance company doesn’t want to fix the vehicle. If this is the case, you will be given a check to cover the value of your car. If the accident is proven to be your fault, expect your insurance premiums to go up. However, if the other driver is to blame, your rates will remain the same.
Before you drive out on Texas roads, make sure you are covered by car insurance in Houston. That is the only way to completely feel protected while driving. Besides, it is the law.